As an Independent Public School, Walliston Primary’s School Board has a strategic role of setting the long-term direction for the school and maintains oversight (not management) of the School Business Plan. The Board provides additional expertise to help the school achieve the best outcomes for students.
It plays an important role in contributing to good school governance so that school resources are used efficiently and community expectations and the school’s priorities reflect the needs of students.
The School Board:
- contributes to the School Delivery and Performance Agreement and the Business Plan;
- endorses and reviews the annual budget; reviews the performance of the school;
- makes decisions with the Principal on fees and charges, book lists, sponsorship and dress codes;
- assists with Principal selection when a vacancy arises; approves arrangements for sponsorship or advertising;
- liaises with other committees within the school;
- and holds one open meeting each year to report to the school community.
The School Board does not:
- run the day to day operations of the school;
- discuss individual issues relating to teachers, staff or parents;
- represent specific interest groups, or permit special interest to dominate meetings;
- intervene in the educational instruction of students;
- performance manage the principal or any other staff member.
Being a board member
Being a member of a council or board is an important and rewarding role that contributes greatly to the success of a school. The Walliston Primary’s School Board consists of 10 members that each bring experience as parents, educators and/or community members.
When a vacancy occurs on a board, the principal seeks nominations. If there’s more than one nomination, a voting process will commence. The term for which members sit on a council/board is determined by each board in accordance with legislation.
Before an appointment is made to a board a screening clearance number may be requested from the nominee.
2022 SCHOOL BOARD MEMBERS
Craig Mainard (Principal)
Michael Gilders (Co-Opt)
Rebecca Calvert (Secretary)